What music are you listening to?

Fretless

King Crimson--In The Court Of The Crimson King

Probably my favorite KC album and one of my top albums ever.

I've recently been spending time with:
The Ocean--Heliocentric
Other Lives--Tamer Animals
Nero--Welcome Reality
Nightwish--Dark Passion Play

It's about time, however, for a run-through of my King Crimson albums.

John Watt

I just saw a video of, uh, that great English rock keyboardist from the sixties, now a producer,
who was standing beside Jimi Hendrix when he first came to England, seeing King Crimson.
Jimi turned to him and said they were the best band in the world.

I used to play "In the Court of the Crimson King" every day in the sixties.

I fell off the back porch of a recording studio onto the driveway and dislocated my right elbow over a week ago.
So I've been laying around working on it while I watch movies, listening to soundtracks.

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
@ Fretless, Do you have In The Wake Of Poseidon by King Crimson? If you do, what are your impressions of it? Is it--as some of the Amazon reviewers have said--merely a re-hash of In The Court Of The Crimson King, or does it stand on its own? The reason I am asking this is that I have been contemplating for some time now as to whether or not I should "pull the trigger' on this purchase. Thanks in advance for any input which you might be able to provide on this.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Just discovered "Stardust" radio on digital ... been listening to many hits from the 30s to 60s, including Stupid Cupid and Do You Know the Way to San Jose, just to mention two classics - love it.

White Knight

The Cannonball Adderley Sextet In New York. Some tight, ass-kicking music here. Yusef Lateef's presence on tenor sax, oboe anf flute really adds a whole other dimension to this group.

John Watt

If I can comment about King Crimson, instead of @Fretless.
I can't imagine saying King Crimson did a rehash of their first album.
Robert Fripp, the guitarist and main songwriter, is truly progressive, changing for the better,
from album to album, and band name to band name.
I never owned "In the wake of Poseidon", but I'd look to see if Greg Lake is still the lead singer.
If you liked his voice, moving to a supergroup, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, he might be gone.
"Starless and Bible Black" was an interesting album, not sure what to call it.
Heavy mental?

White Knight

Yeah, John, I believe that my next prog rock purchase will most definitely be In The Wake Of Poseidon. If Lake still was the lead singer on this, so much the better! I'll check this out later on Amazon and get back to you. Thanks.

John Watt

Too bad we're not talking album covers.
The Crimson King, LSD imagery, hung longer on walls more than the album was played.
"In the Wake of Poseidon" tried to be underwatery, but it was a dark and amateurish cover,
probably a girlfriend or friend of the band doing it.
I hope you're not trying to be a 20th Century Schitzoid Man.

What am I listening to right now?
It's after hours in this governmental center, pumping up the radio.
Brian Adams "Summer of 69", "Black Spot on the Sun", The Police, other mouldy oldies.

John Watt

I bought a nice, used VCR player the other day, and watched an old James Bond movie.
It featured a cellist, and the instrument sounded really good alone and with the orchestra, nice tones.
DVD's usually are 7 or 8 out of 10 for volume, with the TV I'm using, and VCR's, for the same volume, are 4 or 5.
The next movie I watched had a lead character saying vinyl sounded better than DVD's. Right on!

teddy

Duckmeister
I have just put The Stones back in the car. I need their driving beats to get me going in the mornings.

teddy