What jazz have you been listening to today?

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
@ Stu, Yeah, I'm really getting into Charles Lloyd. I never realized that Keith Jarret played in his group at Monterey. That is definitely going to be one of my next jazz cd buys on Amazon. Long live Spotify!

gord

just finished listening to one of my latest cds, john coltrane-coltranes sound-atlantic.i have the lp,and always considered this album a masterpiece. gord

stu

Sonny Criss-Rockin In Rhythm.
Sonny Criss- The Complete Imperial Sessions,tracks from 2cd's.
Charlie Shavers,Coleman Hawkins,Lester Young, Henry Red Allen, Cootie Wiliams,Rex Stewart, Cannonball Adderley -Art Ford Jazz Party 2CD's.

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Charles Mingus--The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
Charles Mingus--Ah Um

edit: Both works heard on Spotify

Last edited:

gord

mcoy tyner trio and symphony orch play the music of burt bacharach-impulse.why anyone would ask tyner to make an album of bacharach tunes with strings puzzles me. but, you know what. tyner is such a huge talent,he could record nursery rhymes with a banjo band, and still make it sound great.this cd isnt that bad actually. gord

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Oh, Burt BatchAratch --- And McCoy to do piano stylings around those melodies - Hmmm........

"Moments Notice" by McCoy Tyner.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I just can't seem to get "Trane-Like" by McCoy Tyner out of my head - Its like a raging infection that devours all in its path.............

gord

keith jarrett--facing you-ecm
mccoy tyner--new york reunion-chesky
bill evans--portrait in jazz-riverside

OLDUDE

Hank Mobley "Capital Vaults Jazz Series" 6 x CDs.

Just bought (I hadn't realised how good this guy, who played with great musicians,really was.)
Tell me Gord - is this early hardbop?

gord

hi john, dont know the records in question, but i think capitol records released some blue note albums.that makes them hardbop, and hardbop at its best.gord

gord

donald byrd--getting down to business-landmark
ornette coleman--the shape of jazz to come-atlantic
freddie hubbard--hub-tones-blue note