What jazz have you been listening to today?

OLDUDE

A young man in my local library suggested I listen to a Nigerian Jazz artist called Fela Kuti
and I have been doing that on Spotify.
Interesting and it set me thinking of the new thread I have started.

Cheers John

stu

Julian Bahula-Jazz Africa.
Abdullah Ibrahim-Zimbabwe.
Henry Texier-Old Delhi and Colonel Skopje.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Joshua Redman - Captured Live

E.S.T. - Layers of Light, Live in Hamburg

I also had the pleasure of attending a Dave Liebman/Riche Beirach jazz workshop that took place yesterday in my city. There was some serious SS playing.

stu

I dug out a 10 volume series on the Storyville label. The Jubilee broadcasts from the 40's. All well recorded.
A mixture of jazz/swing/boogie/jazz vocals and 'pop' of the day/and comedy sketch humour of the time.
Ernie 'Bubbles' Whitman Mc, who had to talk and joke at lightening speed due to the programmes being of 30 minutes duration.
However much classic material was on show in top form; the Basie Band with Lester Young and Jimmy Rushing- Charlie Barnet Band-Earl Hines Band-
Scatman Crothers Group-Louis Armstrong Orchestra- Art Tatum-Teddy Wilson- Bob Crosby Bobcats-Erroll Garner-Lena Horne (who Mc's one programme)
Ella Fitzgerald- Rose Murphy- Vic Dickenson-
Barney Bigard-Cootie Williams Band-Nat Cole Trio- Slim Gaillard Trio- Benny Carter-Johnny Mercer-Peggy Lee-Henry Red Allen-Billy Eckstine-
Comedy of the day also from Jack Benny;Mantan Moreland;Jimmy Durante and others.
One show concludes with three groups-Crothers group;Les Paul Trio and Bob Crosby Bobcats each playing a brief version of
'One O Clock Jump', then they all come together for a rousing jam session finale. All very entertaining stuff. 10 hours duration!! I listened to it all over 3 shifts!!

Last edited:

gord

j.a.t.p.--the first concerts 1944-45-verve
john coltrane--at the village vanguard-the master takes-impulse