What jazz have you been listening to today?

gord

jack teagarden-king of the blues trombone- (3lp box set)-epic.
today,i have been working my way through one of my most prized possesions.
the above box set. gord

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Keith Jarrett--The Koln Concert, on Spotify. However only part 2C was made available, so I'll have to track down the rest of this performance on youtube, or end up purchasing it from Amazon.

stu

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis- 'Live At The Widder Bar'.

Woody Herman Third Herd- 'Live In Stockholm 1954' 2CD's.

Stan Getz and Jay Jay Johnson- 'At The Opera House'.

gord

jacintha--autumn leaves-the songs of johnny mercer-groove note
jacintha--heres to ben-a vocal tributeto ben webster-groove note
dont no anything about this excellent vocalist, except she comes from singapore. gord

teddy

Duckmeister
Mentally bruised after the weekend so a dose of Brubeck and Desmond was needed to regain my equilibrium

teddy

stu

Late forties early fifties stuff. Somehow many such recordings had good 'presence' and depth in a live setting. And, of course,sometimes the 'sand bagged' drums effects, plus of course vocal encouragements and audience participation that are sometimes heard. Many recordings from this period were even superior in 'depth' and excitement than some subsequent later period live recordings.

Wardell Gray - Gene Norman's Just Jazz. 1947 (Classic Wardell easy swinging solo's on 'One O Clock Jump'; C Jam Blues; Blue Lou (with Erroll Garner) Just You Just Me with Vido Musso;Howard McGhee etc)

Wardell Gray Quintet with Art Farmer-Live At The Haig 1952.

The Lamplighter All Stars Broadcasts 1945 -Corky Corcoran; Emmett Berry;Willie Smith etc. (Excellent recording quality and first class mainstream swing, but with the unavoidable radio presenters intrusions)

The First Esquire Concert Metropolitan Opera House Jam Sessions. N.Y. 1944.- Coleman Hawkins; Louis Armstrong; Lionel Hampton; Jack Teagarden; Roy Eldridge; Barney Bigard; Art Tatum; Oscar Pettiford, Big Sid Catlett; Red Norvo.

gord

hank mobley--dig dis (2cds)-not now music. two blue note cds,soul station and roll call.
this is superb swinging hardbop, with some of the stars of jazz,blakey,hubbard,kelly chambers.
to me, this music is priceless, and should be in everybodys hardbop collection. gord

stu

John Coltrane with Milt Jackson- 'Bags and Trane'.

Hank Mobley- 'Soul Station'.

Hank Mobley - 'Another Workout'.

Johnny Griffin; Hank Mobley; John Coltrane; Lee Morgan; with Wynton Kelly;Paul Chambers; Art Blakey. - 'A Blowin'Session'.

gord

hi john, both videos excellent, blakey and the kamuca,perkins,that was great stuff. i am happy to see you leaning toward a more modern sound. more please. gord

gord

the best blue note album in the world...ever! (2cds)-blue note. what a terrific idea to collect all these classic blue note tracks like this.
all the famous numbers like sidewinder,moanin,song for my father, blue train etc.they are all here. of course i have most of them on their
original albums, but these cds are a perfect companion on a two hour car drive. gord

teddy

Duckmeister
I am giving Coltrane another listen to, courtesy of Spotify. Still prefer Rollins but I can admire his work.

teddy