What jazz have you been listening to today?

gord

stan kenton--westside story-capitol
stan kenton-tex ritter-capitol
kentons westside story, i always thought that was his best album.
the kenton ritter album must be the most unusual in the kenton
catalogue. it is not a good kenton record and also not a good ritter
album. the producer made a mistake with this pairing. gord

dutchmandan

@steve No problem, thanks for introducing me to new music! And to answer you question, it's Bill Evans. There are a lot of great images of him playing piano on Google images.

Today was Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader, off Kind of Blue

gord

cannonball adderley--domination-capitol (lp) big band arr&cond by oliver nelson
nat adderley quintet-- a little new york midtown music-galaxy
great music from the adderleys
gord

Dan Pincus

"California, Here I come"
Bill Evans
Philly Joe Jones
Eddie Gomez

In particular: "G Waltz" (Bill) and "You're Gonna hear From Me" (Andre Previn)

stu

Cannonball Adderley Sextet IN NEW YORK.

Cannonball Adderley with Bill Evans- Know What I Mean?

Sonny Rollins -Road Shows Volume Two.

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Stu, You're really hitting them out of the park with your choices! I've been debating whether or not to purchase the Adderly Sextet in New York cd for awhile. What's your take on that album?

White Knight

Lee Morgan--Search For The New Land and The Sixth Sense
Donald Byrd--Fuego
Horace Silver--The Cape Verdean Blues

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Zoot Sims:

1961 Either Way
1965 At The Half Note
1975 Basie & Zoot

stu

Stu, You're really hitting them out of the park with your choices! I've been debating whether or not to purchase the Adderly Sextet in New York cd for awhile. What's your take on that album?

I recommend it! This one has always been one my favourites. Excellently recorded, 'Live' at the Village Vanguard. Yusef Lateef tenor,flute and oboe, is added to the group, with Joe Zawinul piano.
Great hard swinging stuff, a joy to my ears! The rhythm section on top form as always, and Cannonball and Nat their usual blistering selves! This also the one which features Cannonball's humorous now famous introduction speech....words to the effect.."great to be back In New York playing before a hip audience...hipness isn't a state of mind it's a fact of life!!"

White Knight

Thanks Stu, You sold me! I tried to find it on Spotify, but they don't seem to have this particular album. I guess I can check some of it out on you tube and the Amazon snippets. If it's anything like his Quintet in San Francisco with "This Here", "Hi-Fly" etc. etc. it should be great.

gord

junior mance trio-the soulful piano of junior mance- jazzland lp
junior mancetrio-at the village vanguard-jazzland lp
duke ellington-charles mingus-max roach--money jungle-united artists
today i listened to two of my favorite jazz pianos. gord

stu

Thanks Stu, You sold me! I tried to find it on Spotify, but they don't seem to have this particular album. I guess I can check some of it out on you tube and the Amazon snippets. If it's anything like his Quintet in San Francisco with "This Here", "Hi-Fly" etc. etc. it should be great.
I always reckoned that the Adderley 'San Francisco' album and the New York one were equally excellent and two of my favourites. I must mention one track on the New York album 'Syn-anthesia' is somewhat away from the normal fare and the composer, Yusef Lateef, plays Oboe. However, he blows fine tenor on his other composition 'Planet Earth', and strips the paint from the walls on 'Dizzy's Business'.

stu

Bud Powell Trio (Oscar Pettiford bass-Kenny Clarke drums) with Coleman Hawkins -The Essen Jazz Festival 1960.
Charles Mingus and Eric Dolphy with Bud Powell-Antibes Jazz Festival, 1960.
Sonny Rollins Trio (Wilbur Ware bass-Elvin Jones drums)-At The Village Vanguard 1957.

OLDUDE

Warne Marsh (ten)-Music for Prancing
Lenny Tristano (p) - Best of L.T.
Joe Albany (p) - Portrait of an Artist
Ted Browne Sextet - Free Wheeling
(All above on Spotify)