What jazz have you been listening to today?

stu

As well as the Gelald Wilson Big Band, I got dug into some dusty CD's from the back shelf.
Various tracks by
Cecil Young Quartet. A Concert of Cool Jazz. (Scratchy some distortions, but the fun kicks through. Quite a fun group. Gerald Brashear plays good tenor, plays bongoes and along with the bass player Traff Herbert they indulge in some hilarious and amazing scat vocals on Who Parked The Car? (a take on Dizzy Gillespie's Oop Pop A Da)

Bob Dorough Quartet, pianist and 'cool' vocalist. I like his takes on the standard, 'It Could Happen To You', and Bird's 'Yardbird Suite'.

Big Miller, jazz/blues singer. Sometimes the material he had to work with was somewhat banal, He was at his best on out and out jazz blues, such as 'Monterey Story' with Ben Webster, and the swinging but unlikely titled 'If You Don't Love Me'.

stu

Lionel Hampton Orchestra-Live In Vienna, 2 CD's
Thelonious Monk Quartet-Live At The IT Club 2cd's
Maynard Ferguson Jam Session -CD.

stu

Al Cohn and Zoot Sims and Phil Woods-Live At The Half Note. CD
Al Cohn and Zoot Sims-Motoring Along CD.

stu

I didn't listen in to any CD's last night as I had a pleasant surprise. My son phoned up earlier and said he had purchased tickets for a concert.
So, I went concert going. Me, my son and my ten and half year old grandson, who has been showing a keen interest in jazz. The concert was by the excellent Scottish National Jazz Orchestra lead by Tommy Smith and featuring guest soloist the notable Paolo Fresu (Sardinia) on trumpet/flugelhorn playing the music of Miles Davis. The first half featured all the music from the classic -'Miles Ahead', by a full orchestra augmented by oboe,tuba etc. The second half featured a nine piece group culled from the orchestra and featured the entire music from -'Birth Of The Cool'. Main soloist Paolo Fresu's playing was of an exceptionally high standard throughout. My grandson enjoyed the concert, his second one, the last one being by the same orchestra playing the music of Weather Report and featuring drummer Pete Erskine. Nice for me to be now attending concerts in a 'three generation all together' situation.:)

stu

Dave Brubeck-Louis Armstrong-Lambert Hendricks Ross-Carmen McRae- The Real Ambassadors. CD.
Dave Brubeck Quartet with Carmen McRae- Tonight Only. CD.

stu

Stuff Smith Quartet-Live At The Monmartre, CD.
Illinois Jacquet- The Blues, That's Me! CD
Dexter Gordon-Our Man In Paris. CD.

OLDUDE

My latest purchased CD - Miles Davis "Must Have Miles"
The Quintet featuring John Coltrane;Red Garland;Paul Chambers;and Philly Joe Jones