What jazz have you been listening to today?

stu

Dave Brubeck Quartet-Live In Amsterdam. CD.

Johnny Hodges All Stars -Live At The Sportspalast. CD

David Murray Quartet - Ming's Samba.CD.

Last edited:

gord

max roach plays charlie parker mercury
lee morgan the gigolo blue note
earle spencer the almost forgotten pioneer of modern big band jazz -iajrc

gord

chubby jackson big band--chubbys back-argo
gary mcfarland orchestra--profiles recorded live-impulse

gord

vic lewis and the west coast allstars play bill holman-candid
the norwegian radio big band meets bill holman-taurus records

stu

Mel Torme with Marty Paich- Live At The Crescendo. 2 cd's

Lighthouse All Stars - Sunday At The Lighthouse. CD.

Stan Kenton Orchestra with June Christy and The Four Freshmen- Road Show Live. CD.

ericwood992

One of my first Jazz records, and still one of my favourites! Tonight Only!!!! Dave Brubeck Quartet and Carmen McRae (1960) Superb music and performance.
AND:
The Voice of Jazz; Billie Holiday, Volume 8. Bought at the same time as the above in 1960. What a great jazz voice and interpretation technique she had!

Then watched this Dave Brubeck broadcast from 1964. Many are the times I have sat near the front of the auditorium watching this great group.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhyQHWh8CBI

Last edited:

stu

John Coltrane - Africa Brass. CD.
Rene Urtreger -Plays Bud Powell. CD.
Lou Bennett-Pentecostal Feeling. CD.

gord

pee wee russell-coleman hawkins--jazz reunion--candid lp
yusef lateef--jazz round the world--impulse lp
sonny stitt--personal appearance--verve lp

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
One of my first Jazz records, and still one of my favourites! Tonight Only!!!! Dave Brubeck Quartet and Carmen McRae (1960) Superb music and performance.
AND:
The Voice of Jazz; Billie Holiday, Volume 8. Bought at the same time as the above in 1960. What a great jazz voice and interpretation technique she had!

Then watched this Dave Brubeck broadcast from 1964. Many are the times I have sat near the front of the auditorium watching this great group.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhyQHWh8CBI

@ ericwood992, I really am so glad that you were able to see and hear in person one of the greatest jazz ensembles ever! How many their concerts did you attend?

ericwood992

Hi White Knight,

I lived in Manchester in the sixties, and Dave Brubeck came over once a year for several years, I can't remember exactly how many. I think 5 or 6 times I was fortunate enough to see them.
Manchester Free Trade Hall was a great venue for important jazz concerts at the time. Among other regulars who I saw several times were Duke Ellington (7 concerts), Woody Herman, Jacques Loussier, Dizzy Gillespie, Louis Armstrong, Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson with Ella Fitzgerald.

This reminds me, I haven't seen much about Jacques Loussier among these forums (fora). With this in mind, I have just trolled through the offerings of You Tube and to my absolute horror found not one single video of the original trio. I have all his original trio LPs, and would love to see a performance again. Anyone help?

Meantime here is the only recording of this original trio on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzDc_CDvG3I and the audio is not good. What a shame!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
This reminds me, I haven't seen much about Jacques Loussier among these forums (fora). With this in mind, I have just trolled through the offerings of You Tube and to my absolute horror found not one single video of the original trio. I have all his original trio LPs, and would love to see a performance again. Anyone help?

Meantime here is the only recording of this original trio on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzDc_CDvG3I and the audio is not good. What a shame!

Hey Eric, I have to admit that I'm not sure what you mean by the 'original' trio, but then I don't know his work that well. Would you mind explaining? There's lots of his recordings on YT. Actually, I just checked and got 17900 results for 'Jacques Loussier' query. Anyway, I do like him and have a few of his albums, my favorite being this one.

Last edited:

stu

Max Roach and Clifford Brown In Concert-CD.
Newport Jazz Festival 1972. - CD. (Featuring a large contingent of heavy hitters!!)
Art Blakey, Clifford Brown, Lou Donaldson, Horace Silver, Curly Russell-A Night At Birdland 2CD's

gord

cal tjader--westside story-fantasy
gene krupa--plays gerry mulligan arrangements-verve
john coltrane--ballads-impulse

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Hi,guys.I am new here
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Welcome to a great forum. Where are you from? Do you have any favorite jazz artists and/or groups? I look forward to reading your future posts.