What jazz have you been listening to today?

teddy

Duckmeister
He ma well have been John, but as I had my eyes closed in bliss I can not be sure.

Have new headphones for my laptop so I am listen to my Sony Rollins 4 CD set. " Good to be back, good to be back....." Opps Sorry.

teddy

gord

felt like hearing some coltrane today,so got out my three favorite trane albums.
dakar
blue train
coltranes sound

teddy

Duckmeister
A selection of Teagarden from Youtube including Stars Fell on Alabama. Never tire of the man, whoever he is playing alongside.

teddy

OLDUDE

Welcome EddieR,
An impressive 1st(?) post
I've been listening to my ipod at intervals today
and since I have well over 2K tracks uploaded
this was quite varied but included Miles, Louis, Kai,
Anita, and Sophie Milman.

Last edited:

stu

Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band. 2cd's
Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra 2.CD's
Billy Eckstine Orchestra- Together-Live 'Jubilee Show' 1945. with Art Blakey;
Sarah Vaughan; Fats Navarro; Gene Ammons; Budd Johnson; Leo Parker.etc.

Last edited:
Welcome EddieR,
An impressive 1st(?) post
I've been listening to my ipod at intervals today
and since I have well over 2K tracks uploaded
this was quite varied but included Miles, Louis, Kai,
Anita, and Sophie Milman.

Glad you liked it - yep could have been my first post here - have plenty more if you like

James M has been a premier jazz player in oz for a copule of decades now.

John Watt

I bought a $1 CD titled "Jazz Sampler", and it's a nice listen.
It starts with Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, through Chick Corea to Weather Report.
Oddly enough, Weather Report sounds less potent than previous recording artists.

stu

Eddie, I attended a James Morrison Quartet concert at the Edinburgh Jazz Festival in 1993. He is indeed an amazing player. That night he was featured mainly on trumpet but also on trombone, and a few examples of his alto and tenor saxophone solo's. His brother, John?, was the drummer.
That year it was a festival of Australian jazz stars, and I got see most of them but would you believe I missed out on Graham Bell, but I did get to see altoist Andrew Speight (with a small group that included drummer Jake Hanna), the excellent saxophonist Paul Furniss, and trumpeter Bob Barnard among others.
Plus, Slap style bass player Annie Hawkins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OEgUcZDNfto

Last edited:

gord

dexter gordon--our man in paris-blue note cd
dexter gordon--long tall dexter-the savoy sessions-savoy lp

stu

Jazz At The Philharmonic In Europe. CD with Dizzie Gillespie; Cannonball Adderley;J.J.Johnson;Benny Carter;
Lalo Schifrin; Art Davis;Chuck Lampkin, on 'Bernie's Tune/Swedish Jam'. And- Stan Getz; Coleman Hawkins;Roy Eldridge;Don Byas;
Lalo Schifrin;Art Davis;Jo Jones, on 'All The Things You Are'.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I've been listening to all the recordings by Jamie Cullum I managed to find.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I have linked a track “New Morning of the Dream written by Nock” from my CD of the New York Jazz Collective this was formed in the late 70s by Mike Knock (a NZ pianist) towards the end of the ’Fourth Way’ a quartet also formed by Nock.
Some is a bit ‘way out’ but this track should be acceptable to all please listen or d/l and I would appreciate your comments good or not. I rate Nock's playing very highly.
Line up : Marty Ehrlich Clarinet, Alto.- Baikida Carroll Tpt & Flugelhorn.-Frank Lacy Trombone.-Michael Formanek Bass,- Nock Piano,- Steve Johns Drums.
Rec 4/96 Connecticut.

https://www.box.com/s/ygevtwfsrrhiffqqvaxh

stu

Colin, I enjoyed that track. I have heard Mike Nock before and sometimes got the impression that although his playing was beautiful it lacked some kind of a direction of sorts. Like quite a few others he seemed to be just a good technician and concentrated on being-nice!
However, this track has a much more creative freedom involved and his playing takes on a more interesting descriptive feeling with the backing group collective. His playing isn't just nice anymore it goes beyond that.
This isn't the rating thread but damn it, i'll give it a 10/10. Excellent.