What jazz have you been listening to today?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hello dutchmandan,

Welcome to the forum. Do have a look around and feel free to join right in. It's always nice to have a new jazz enthusiast joining our ranks.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Welcome aboard dutchmandan to an absolutely superwonderful site with supergreat members all........

OLDUDE

I also welcome Dutchmandan (i guess that will get shortened to at least "Dutch"), dont be afraid to air your views. We especially enjoy controversy-eh Colin?

Today I played tracks from new purchases (downloads),
Art Farmer-"New York Jazz sessions"
Lee Morgan-"The Ultimate Collection"
"Johnny Varro featuring Ken Peplowski-Two Legends of Jazz"
Ken Peplowski-"Easy to Remember"

Some really great music.

Cheers John

stu

Sonny Rollins- Road Shows Volume One.

I see volume two is due for release late September.

And a Hi there! to Dutchmandan.

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Esbjorn Svensson Trio--Somewhere Else Before. Some real gems on this one, including a tune called The Face of Love, which is a beautifully evocative piece done in an Indian raga type of style and is lights out! I'll try to find it on Spotify or Youtube and share it with those of my fellow members who don't happen to own this particular cd/album. It's definitely a nominee for the Lovely Bit of Jazz post! Esbjörn Svensson Trio – The Face Of Love

@ Dutchmandan, Welcome for sure to this forum and I look forward to reading your posts. Do you have any favorite jazz genres, pieces or artists?

Last edited:

dutchmandan

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Well I'm quite new to jazz, I've been studying classical piano for most of my life (which is only 19 years old) but I have decided to switch my studies to jazz because I'm tired of playing notes strictly off of a page haha. This looks like a great place to learn about artists and pieces that I've never heard before and learn more about jazz. Some of my favourite jazz musicians are; the Avishai Cohen trio, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Jackie Mclean, Bill Evans, and Oscar Peterson.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Listening to all the jazz giants is a great way of learning. At least for me; it's helped me with voicings, comping and other aspects as well.

It is definitely the right place to learn about artists you've not heard before. I'm sure you'll find your way around here.

So, how long have you been into jazz?

On topic:

Bill Evans (sax) - Starfish & The Moon

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
@dan, Do not give up on your classical ! it is hard but will repay you in ways you can't imagine, Jazz is fun and easy, have a ball but please do not turn your back on serious music

gord

duke ellington at the blue note chicago 1959 double cd roulette
andre previn trio after hours- telarc cd
gord

OLDUDE

Dan- listen to Colin (JHC)- you will find that most of us here have broad musical interests.
The great value of this Forum is that it covers most musical genres.

Listened today to more Art Farmer and Johnny Varro/Ken Peplowski.

John (OLDUDE)

gord

mccoy tyner-monks dream-hdc
mccoy tyner-remembering john(coltrane)-enja
joe zawinul-the rise and fall of the third stream-atlantic
three great albums. gord

stu

What with Mcoy Tyner getting so much air time here I played - McCoy Tyner- Live At Newport 1963 with Charlie Mariano and Clark Terry.