What jazz have you been listening to today?

OLDUDE

Al Cohn meets Al Porcino on Spotify (I'm thinking of buying it).
Also the two I mention in the new purchase thread - Pete Jolly and Bill Perkins

Last edited:

gord

thelonious monk--10 cd box set-membran music.
been working my way through this lengthy box set today. all of monks blue note and prestige recordings, plus his sideman work 1944-1954. no personnel,recording dates or information is given (i hate this) in this rather sloppy production. but it is fantastic to have all monks recordings together like this.timeless, classic jazz by a master. gord

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Monk's Dream by McCoy Tyner

Hey Steve, I have been an ardent fan of Keith Jarrett's artistry and still listen to him regularly but McCoy Tyner is replacing Jarrett in my book as all-time favorite. Why can that be? Got any ideas? My brain can't explain to my satisfaction what is happening.........

gord

hi corno i imagine steve will be able to explain this. i find myself, that my favorites are constantly changing. one day my favorite trumpet will be wild bill davison, then the next it may be lee morgan. it is weird and puzzling. i too await steves explanation. gord

stu

Stan Kenton- Live At Redlands University.

Les Brown - Live At The Hollywood Palladium.

Ben Webster - Live In Amsterdam.

Johnny Hodges-Live At The Sportpalast, Berlin.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I'm listening to Vans Joint by Bill Evans (sax) and enjoing it very much. It gets a 9.5/10 in my book.

stu

I noticed that this interesting thread was initiated by ROJO. I therefore saluted his insight by playing the Red Garland CD .....wait for it.....ROJO!!
Red Garland piano; George Joyner bass; Charlie Persip drums; Ray Barretto conga drum.

Then, well immersed in the music I then played selections from 'Garland In Red' and 'Manteca'.

gord

woody herman--the thundering herds (3lp box set)-columbia. herman had the best big band during the swing era in my humble opinion, and these mid 40s recordings surely prove it. gord

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
I noticed that this interesting thread was initiated by ROJO. I therefore saluted his insight by playing the Red Garland CD .....wait for it.....ROJO!!
Red Garland piano; George Joyner bass; Charlie Persip drums; Ray Barretto conga drum.

Then, well immersed in the music I then played selections from 'Garland In Red' and 'Manteca'.
Not for nothing, but I believe that Rojo is actually of the female persuasion.