What jazz have you been listening to today?

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
@ Jazznut, That is truly a phenomenal young man and a wonderful clip. One can see the joy he and Corea have in playing off one another's riffs, and the mutual respect they evince for each other. From what I could hear, most--if not all--of those two sessions were improvised, no? Anyway, that is truly an amazing level of playing and confidence for a teenager, and I'm sure we have not seen or heard the last of him. Thanks for sharing this with your fellow members. :cheers:

stu

Memories. Excuse me while I indulge myself since it is the season to be crazy. I had the good fortune to hang out with quite a few of the jazz giants back in the early eighties. Great times indeed and so many wonderful and wild memories. Tenorist Buddy Tate, (a gentleman) sat me down on a bar stool and described life in the clubs on New York's famous 52nd Street in the late forties. I sat at a table with Jay Mc Shann that great Kansas City piano man along with drummer Gus Johnson, bassist Milt Hinton, tenorman Al Cohn, clarinetist Tony Scott, and many others. The stories were hilarious. One well known jazzman wanted to come back home and spend a day or two with me and hang and jam at some local clubs but a pal of mine said "NO! NO! He will stay for months, live in the kitchen and cook every day. You will have enough food to last for years!" There was also a special all star group due to broadcast at midnight and they needed a name to broadcast under so asked if it would be okay to use mine! So, I was announced on air as leading one of the greatest Kansas City bands of all time!! And, Slim Gaillard!! We had a few beers together. He told me some crazy tales, and he was just as crazy off stage as on it. He would stop and suddenly ask, "Have you been to any of the four moons lately?" He told of times in LA at Billy Bergs Club and playing with Bird and Dizzy. He would even sing 'the menu'. Great fun, but that's what jazz should be!! :)
This brings back some of the memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWDkf8acR14&feature=player_detailpage

stu

Still in a 'kick it about a bit' party mode.
Jazz At The Philharmonic, Hamburg, Germany, 1956. 2 CD's. (Flip Phillips;Illinois Jaquet;Oscar Peterson; Roy Eldridge; Dizzy Gillespie;Gene Krupa etc)

Jazz At The Philharmonic All Stars in Berlin 1955. CD. Dizzy Gillespie; Roy Eldridge; Bill Harris; Flip Phillips; Buddy De Franco; O.Peterson; Louis Bellson;Ella Fitzgerald etc)

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Back at ya, Stu. Happy New Year to you and all my wonderful MIMF fellow members! And here's to many, many more which we can hopefully spend with each other! :alc:

Last edited:

John Watt

A sax player friend of mine was riffing away on facebook,
so I put on some Stan Getz, the album that launched Ghiberto Joabim.

Long and lithe are the riffs he gets to, soft and hard are the notes he reaches,
while everyone is moved, moved by the rhythm, he found on those beaches.
Oh, how I'd like to be out there now, oh, how my guitar wants to be loud right now,
and it all comes down to a kiss, thinking of all the notes I had missed.
Tall untanned because it's winter, slipping and sliding 'cause I can't grip her,
it's time to plug it in, and play away... day after day... playing away... way far away.

teddy

Duckmeister
Some Jack Teagarden via Youtube to get me back in the swing. Hardly been listening to any music over the holidays.

teddy