What jazz have you been listening to today?

stu

Duke Ellington Orchestra-London Concerts, 1969-1971 2 CD's.
Duke Ellington Orch-Far East Suite. CD.

OLDUDE

Hi Stu,
Nice to have you back (or is it only my imagination thet you've been missing?)
I've been amusing myself by playing music by my favourite male singers, in order
to judge in my own mind whether they can be classed as in the Jazz category.

What do Forum members think about the following?
Tony Bennett; Frank Sinatra; Nat King Cole; Bobby Darin; Bing Crosby;
Mat Monroe; Perry Como; Dean Martin;

Might be room for a new thread here.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Continuing with Zoot:

• Hawthorne Nights
  • Flower Walts
  • For Lady Day

stu

Mat, you win. Zoot! The ultimate swinging tenor man! He never changed, lucky for us, because nobody could swing like ZOOT!

Tracks from CD's;
Zoot Sims Live In Copenhagen.
Zoot Sims and Al Cohn (Zoots swinging buddy) A Niight At The Half Note.
Zoot Sims and Al Cohn- Motoring Along. (The album title track, swings you into bad health!)
Zoot Sims - The Gershwin Brothers.
Zoot Sims with Jutta Hipp.
Also, not with Zoot but a vocal dedication to him by singer Carol Sloane, 'Zoot Walked In'.

Brings back memories! When I used to hang out in smoky jazz joints, and at some late hour one or even two of the top well known jazz men would enter and sit and jam, meaning that most of us then couldn't leave, prepared to miss the late night train, not because we had met up with some sultry miss!, oh no!, so when telephoning home it was with the oft used sincere statement, "Don't wait up!! I will be very very late!! ZOOT WALKED IN!"

Last edited:

stu

I am with Gord on this one! In my opinion the MJQ were a complete unit and I prefered them as such, but, Milt Jackson added his own ideas and verve to other recording sessions
This one is with Count Basie. Sit back, fill up a fine wine, light a good cigar, (don't smoke? Then chew the damn thing!) keep your muddy shoes on and put your feet up on the best chair, and put the lights down low, and if this doesn't convince you then go and and get your knitting out!:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yVY296-MNHs

gord

sure milt jackson played well with the mjq,but to say he didnt play well with others,that i dont agree with.there is plenty evidence to prove my point out there. just listen to plenty plenty soul,beanbags with coleman hawkins and the remarkable masterpiece bags and trane with john coltrane for a start. gord

stu

Count Basie Orch. -Live At Birdland 1953.
Count Basie Jam - At Montreux 1975-77. with Roy Eldridge,Johnny Griffin, Louis Bellson, Neils Pedersen. Milt Jackson.
Jim Hall Trio-Good Friday Blues.
And I have been really enjoying tracks by the pianist Mel Powell!