What jazz have you been listening to today?

gord

hi john, never heard of sophie milman,but you are right,she is excellent.i am impressed also. gord

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
So What styled by Miles Davis - Dang it, I just can't get enough of it - It just keeps on giving and giving and.............∞

stu

I went on an avant garde semi free jazz kick. Only the tracks that were accessable to me though.

10 tracks by
The Art Ensemble Of Chicago. (I always liked their theme Odwalla, especially the version featuring a rolling,laid back solo by Roscoe Mitchell on bass sax)

Then I went for five tracks by the fire and brimstone man,
Pharoah Sanders. Less violent than his normal outpourings though. ( one track featuring a marvellous bass solo by Buster Williams accompanied by Will Calhoun on nigerian udo drum) Beautiful music.

Then I went in at the deep end. Splash! Help!!!
Pharoah Sanders- Black Unity. CD (A 37 minute tirade, Pharoah on fire!, with two bass players, two drummers, Wallace Roney trumpet, Joe Bonner piano. Accessable stuff though, despite the furore!)

teddy

Duckmeister
Following on from Johns post I looked up Sophie Milman. Very nice, and not hard to look at either.

teddy

stu

George Russell Smalltet CD with Bill Evans,Art Farmer, Hal McKusick, Paul Motian, a.m.o.

George Russell Orchestra CD-New York,N.Y. with John Coltrane, Art Farmer, Phil Woods, John Hendricks ,Bill Evans, Max Roach, a.m.o.
Henry Texier CD with Lee Konitz,Bob Brookmeyer, Steve Swallow, Aldo Romano.

gord

e.s.t.-strange place for snow
e.s.t.-somewhere else before
ahmad jamal-live at oil can harrys