What jazz have you been listening to today?

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
On Spotify:

John Coltrane--Coltrane's Sound. And for me, the standout piece, and one of my all-time favorites from Trane and Tyner. IMHO, this work ranks among the best ever turned out by any jazz musicians; I must have listened to it at least 40-50 times over the summer, and it still speaks to me in hauntingly beautiful phrases. I'll post both the Spotify link--and for my friend Mat--the You Tube version: John Coltrane – Equinox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfDoAofL_hw&feature=player_detailpage

stu

Seems like a Coltrane night all round!

I had been listening to some Miles Davis tracks. I revisited the Miles Davis 'Live At Olympia,Paris, March 1960' 2 cd set on Laserlight.
Amazing stuff from Coltrane. Miles sorta takes a back seat at times because he knew Trane was experimenting at this stage, evolving his style. Repitition, doubling up, tripling, outside scales, re-structuring, all belched forth at great speed.
Some of the French audience, on two tracks especially, 'Green Dolphin Street' and 'Bye Bye Blackbird', are somewhat baffled by this and vociferously make their feelings known while the others applaud his efforts. Coltrane seems unfazed by this. He was looking ahead to his next venture into modality. Interesting stuff.

gord

inspired by steve and his love for the work of john coltrane, i decided to play three of my favorite coltrane albums.
coltranes sound-atlantic
dakar-prestige
blue train-blue note
these coltrane albums are superb, and some of the best jazz ever put on record.i love the sound of coltrane, derived from dexter gordon, but taken to a higher level,i could listen to him all day. it is a mystery to me,why some decry his music,while others stand in awe of the man.this man was a genius, no doubt ab out that. gord

White Knight

Way to go, Gord! Today I listened to--surprise surprise--John Coltrane--coltrane plays the blues. And as Gord so aptly remarks, this is some great music performed by a genius.

OLDUDE

No Coltrane for me.

June Christy;- "Misty Miss" and "Something Cool"
John Barnes- "Manhatton"
Jimmy Giuffre Trio

stu

Anita O'Day- Live At Mingo's.
Johnny Hartman with John Coltrane.
Joe Williams with Ben Webster- Havin' A Good Time.
Mel Torme with Marty Paich-Live At The Crescendo. 2cd's
June Christy with Johnny Guarnieri Quintet.
June Christy - Complete Capitol Small Group Transcriptions with Boots Mussulli; Gene Roland; Kai Winding;Bob Cooper;Eddie Safranski;Shelly Manne.etc.

gord

after seeing that stu had been playing june christy, i decided on june also. i played her best album something cool-capitol.this cd contains both mono and stereo versions.
i always thought they were the same, but apparently the stereo version was recorded in 1960 with the same musicians and arrangements, they are two completely different
records. of course the mono is the better version, but the stereo isnt bad either.gord

stu

Joe Newman -Live At Count Basie's Club.
Art Pepper and Zoot Sims-Art 'n' Zoot. with Barney Kessel,Ray Brown, Vic Feldman,Billy Higgins.
Max Bennet featuring Carl Fontana and Dave McKenna.
Sunday Jazz At The Lighthouse-Shorty Rogers, Jimmy Giuffre, Milt Bernhardt;Bob Cooper; Hampton Hawes; Howard Rumsay;Shelley Manne.
Shelley Manne and his Men-At The Blackhawk Vol 1.

White Knight

Lee Morgan--The Blue Note Years
Horace Silver--Song For My Father
Esbjorn Svensson Trio--Strange Place For Snow and Somewhere Else Before

OLDUDE

Hi Stu,
Your post of Oct 09 once again confirms to me how much we have in common with regard to jazz musicians, groups and styles (especialy West Coast).
As soon as I finish this post I am going into iTunes to listen to my 4 CD set of Shorty Rogers