Jazz Canaries

OLDUDE

Shorty Rogers Giants are special for me. I'm surprised that Eartha sang with them.
Must look for the album

Cheers John

hardbop grandpop

hi john, eartha kitt-st. louis blues with shorty rogers- rca is a good album, but the giants are not the usual giants. they are a dixieland group with john best-matty matlock-moe schneider-stan wrightsman-nick fatool-morty corb and shorty rogers. gord :cool:

OLDUDE

OK Gord. - I've tracked down what I think is the best Eartha/Shorty Rogers album .
Although they play together in occasional tracks in a few CDs , a whole album (vinyl) "St.Louis Blues" is included in the CD "Four Classic Albums". (New from Amazon for £3.99)
The other 3 vinyl albums are :
"That Bad Eartha"
"Down to Eartha"
"Thursday's Child"

I'm gonna buy it mainly for the Shorty Rogers connection.

Cheers and thanks
John

hardbop grandpop

hi john, glad to see you have tracked down the eartha kitt - shorty rogers album. you should enjoy it even though it is dixieland. gord :cool:

hardbop grandpop

hi john,
i know you like dixieland, i just wanted to make sure you realized you were getting shorty rogers and a dixieland band not his usual west coast group, before you forked out your hard earned cash. gord

teddy

Duckmeister
Has anyone any opinions on Joss Stone. Never really listened to her until today and was rather disappointed. Maybe I have missed her best tracks. Any suggestions?

teddy

OLDUDE

Hi teddy,

You seem to be returning to quite old threads (but why not?).

I hadn't heard of Joss Stone but had a listen on Spotify.
Afraid it wasn't my idea of Jazz - would you call it Soul?.
Whatever it is classed as I didn't like it

Cheers John

teddy

Duckmeister
Yes, I was disapionted as well. After everything I had read about her I expected much more.

teddy

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
George Melly, now there is a Canary he was great when with
Mick Mulligan and the Magnolia Jazz Band I heard them in the flesh once.

teddy

Duckmeister
I had forgotten about George. I will have to revisit him. His music was always so full of life.

teddy

JHC

Teddy I have one LP of him with Mick Mulligan recorded live I have been searching for some free loss-less d/l but none to date :cry:

OLDUDE

Colin,
I've got some tracks of Mick Mulligan/G.Melly
I'll look them up and let you know the source
Cheers John

JHC

Colin,
I've got some tracks of Mick Mulligan/G.Melly
I'll look them up and let you know the source
Cheers John
Thanks John, I just wonder how many recordings they made ?? it can't be many.

teddy

Duckmeister
I get the idea from what I have read that although they played together quite a bit over the years they did not make that many records together. I wonder whether one of their biographys might yeild some information. People love to list who they have played alongside.

teddy

OLDUDE

Hi Colin,
Back to Mick Mulligan and George Melly.
I have a double Cd "Great British Jazz: Just About as Good as it Gets". This derives from numerous different Albums.
This includes 4 tracks by Mulligan (2 of them with Melly).
CD1 Track14 "You've got the right key but the wrong Keyhole" w. Melly - 1956 MCA Music
CD1 Track19 "Shanty in Old Shanty Town" - 1956 Feldman Music
CD2 Track12 "Snag it" - 1956 Darewski Music
CD2 Track18 "Organ Grinder Blues" w. Melly. - 1956 Redwood Music

In the blurb it says "They made a number of very fine recordings for Tempo"

Dont know if this helps.

Cheers John

JHC

Thanks John I have some Brit Jazz compilations and there is some good tracks on them but I think as teddy pointed out they made very few recordings I think he ( Mulligan) eventually left the music scene