Jazz Canaries

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I know what toff means but where did the word come from?

OLDUDE

I'm no toff but I wouldn't dream of completing "She was only a bar tenders daughter but----"

OLDUDE

Hi Margaret,
To get back to Keely Smith, I have a Double Cd (The very best of-)which I think may confirm that she was "one of the best jazz-pop singers of all time", as claimed by the blurb.
She was born Dorothy Keely of Irish/Cherokee descent on 9 Mar 1932 (a year to the day older than yours truly) and sang with Louis Prima, who became her 1st hubby.
She actually sang at Pres.Kennedy's inauguration in1961, and believe it or not at Ronnie Scotts in Aug 2007. Phew!!!

teddy

Duckmeister
As a late comer can I chuck in Bessie Smith. I know she was primarily a blues singer but she got into swing during the later part of her career singing with the great Teagarden amongst others. A great singer eithr way.

teddy

OLDUDE

Never too late teddy,
I dont really care for the full blues bit myself but I've never heard her with Big T.
I'll have to look it up

Cheers John

teddy

Duckmeister
Just been listening to Diane Krall and compared her to the covers she has done of Joni Mitchel numbers (who I like a lot) and have to admit that she does not do a lot for me. Her voice seems to lack depth and range and does not have that heart felt warmth of Joni.

teddy

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I've listened to ten Diana Krall albums so far, loved every each of them. She's got the voice, she's got improv skills and man, she's got the look, too! I went to her concert when she was promoting her new album "Quiet nights" in Poland. I did pay a lot of money for the ticket but it was worth every penny. She and her band gave a great perormance.

As for other canaries: Lady Fitz, Billie Holiday, Anna Maria Jopek, Rene Olstead, Cassandra Willson and my recent "discovery" - Dee Dee Bridgewater.

teddy

Duckmeister
Mat

Glad you enjoyed the concert. I know John is a fan of hers as well. I would be interested in your opinion of Joni Mitchell as I do find similarities between them but I guess it comes down to a matter of personal choice. It would be boring (and the end of this forum) if we all liked the same thing.

regards

teddy

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey Teddy. I'm not familiar with Joni Mitchel, to be honest. But if you point me to the covers you mentioned in your previous post I can listen to them and then get an opinion of some sort.

teddy

Duckmeister
Mat

The easiest one to find on youtube is A Case of You. Both artists are there side by side. Joni has worked with some of the greats such as Pat Metheny and Charles Mingus. My favorite album is probably Hejira which is worth anybodys time listening to. She is also beautiful, although maybe her music affects my eyesight.

regards

teddy

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
What can I say, Teddy? I listened to both Joni Mitchel and Diana's cover; I prefer the latter...

But I'll still have to listen to a whole Mitchel's album to get a better picture.

teddy

Duckmeister
The name Eartha Kitt came up the other day. Have to admit I ashamedly had forgotten all about her. Very sexy lady, very sultry voice. I believe she more or less dissappeared from the scene after some sort of scandal. I will try and find some tracks and see if she has the same effect on me as she did when I was 15 years old.

teddy

OLDUDE

There is little need to have controversy over Diane Krall and Joni Mitchel.
They are both part of a wonderful legacy we have of female Jazz singers
which includes so many singers mentioned during the unfolding of this thread. I rate them both highly so that they join the likes of June Christy, Sarah Vaughan, Ella,,
Lady Day, Cleo Laine, (where do you stop), in my collection.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
The name Eartha Kitt came up the other day. Have to admit I ashamedly had forgotten all about her. Very sexy lady, very sultry voice. I believe she more or less dissappeared from the scene after some sort of scandal. I will try and find some tracks and see if she has the same effect on me as she did when I was 15 years old.

teddy

I think you will find she has kicked the bucket teddy, I have one LP of hers, I would class as a popish singer as opposed to a jazz lady
but she was known as The Sex Kitten