What jazz have you been listening to today?

stu

Ron Carter and Eric Dolphy - Where?

Tony Bennett and Dave Brubeck Quartet -Live At The White House 1962.

gord

carmen mcrae--carmen sings monk-blue note
june christy--big band specials-capitol
connee boswell--and the memphis five in hi fi-r.c.a.

stu

Ron Carter-Tommy Flanagan-Tony Williams-The Trio CD.

Duke Ellington All Star 1969 White House Tribute -CD.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey John, I have indeed not heard from you in a while? How've you been? I've never heard (of) that lady before, I must admit. Those link you provided are great - that's my kind of jazz. I've got to search for more. Thanks for sharing.

Also, I've merged your posts and checked the links again - they're all working now.

stu

Miles Davis Quintet- Milestones. CD
Miles Davis Quintet- Round Midnight CD.
Art Blakey Jazz Messengers-The Witch Doctor. CD.

gord

coleman hawkins--the hawk flies high-riverside
stan getz--plays jobin:the girl from ipanima-verve

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I've been watching wonderful, full-lenght live concerts of Diana Krall and Michael Buble. All thanks to youtube.

stu

Tommy Flanagan again. Something about his piano touch that keeps me going back for a listen. IMO, His earlier stuff had a quality about it and his later stuff developed a fine melodic touch, adept also in a bop vein, and one of the best accompanists in jazz. There is always a hook to grab at, a phrase to wonder at, and, unlike many of the contemporary pianists who now often seem to play all tempo's in a ballad style, he digs in and elaborates with excellent touch. Often his bassist is George Mraz who provides excellent harmonic support. Or Ron Carter, who doesn't allow his masterly technique to overshadow his absorbing improvised solo's whether they be on bass or cello.
So.
A pile of Tommy Flanagan tracks from a pile of various CD's.

John Watt

stu! That's a very, uh, astute appreciation of Tommy Flanagan.
More than just a solo artist, he was a combo accompianist and a big band player.

I got Miles Davis "Doo-Bop" from the library, listening to that last night.